Friday, April 24, 2009

Progress


471486781_3564bca14d_o
Originally uploaded by mariecoppla
Well, let me say that I didn't quite meet my goals.

I did write the letter of rec, BUT not until the girl came and sat next to me and waited until I finished it, which was around 2:45.

I did write some more pages, however it was more like 3 total in 3 days instead of the 12 I originally had proposed - BUT Friday doesn't end until midnight so technically, I still have time and I'm going to write from 5:00 until 8:00.

I didn't do anything with the travel query BUT I did become Facebook friends with a girl I met while traveling, so that cancels out my failure to send submissions - I mean, people are more important than words, right? And I can eventually write about how we met and then I'll have two travel articles to shop around. Brilliant.

I didn't print any of my manuscript BUT ink is expensive and well, it was Earth Day a few days ago so I can justify not printing because I was, um, conserving paper and saving trees.

Hmm. What will my excuses be today?? I had to Tweet? I had to update my Facebook status? I had to write this blog?

Excuses, friends, are everywhere if you look for them and procrastination is more enticing than a candy aisle, which is why it's no wonder we often do not meet our own deadlines or the deadlines of others.

So, what's the secret formula, the magic trick to turning on inspiration and motivation at the exact same time?

There isn't one. You just have to suck it up and get to work (although I do think working on a computer that does not have access to the Internet is as close as some of us are going to get to an elixir).

Which is why in 14 minutes, after I look at pictures of flowers that could possibly work with my wedding colors, I'm going to pretend that the Internet just died and start writing and I'm going to write for 3 hours and at the end of those 3 hours, maybe I'll have met my goal.

Then, I'm going to curl up on the couch with Pinkerton, some sushi delivery, and watch Grey Gardens as my reward.

Remember - you are the only thing that you can control.

No comments: