Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chapter Length

At this moment, my YA novel is 172 pages which contain 53,130 words, and are divided into 13 chapters. I'm trying to alternate chapters back and forth between 2 concurrent plot lines; one takes place in Central PA and the other is occurring in Scotland.

I have a few issues currently:

1. I have 7 PA chapters and only 2 Scotland chapters.
2. I have 2 prologue chapters containing backstory (the remaining 2 chapters are PA/Scotland interaction chapters ie. phone calls, IM sessions, etc between the PA/Scotland characters
3. My chapters range from 8 to 24 pages. Most are in the 10-11 range but two fall into the 20 - 24 range. This can easily be solved by dividing those 2 into 4 chapters, which would take me to 15 chapters.
4. I need to add 5 Scotland chapters, which would push me to 19 chapters and approx. 230 pages.
5. I then need to finish the novel - perhaps 6 additional chapters? which would put me at my goal of 300 pages

Lost of work - my big question is, what is the perfect chapter length?

No comments: