Friday, May 1, 2009

Work Ethic


protestant work ethic
Originally uploaded by berniq

I have a strong work ethic. Sometimes I really enjoy working. Sometimes I really hate it. But regardless of how I feel about it, I continue to work, because that is what one does; one works.

When I was a teenager, I hated school work just as much as the next kid. However, 99.9% of the time I did it anyway and submitted it when it was expected because that's what one did - one worked when asked to work and one produced what was expected.

The remaining .1% of the time when I didn't do my work, I felt guilty and nervous and wished I had just done my work in the first place because it would've been a lot easier than feeling bad about myself.

But instead of getting caught up in a cycle of no return, I would go out and buy all new notebooks and folders and pens and start fresh the next day.

Why? Because doing my work never resulted in harm. Yes, I missed out on a few TV shows here and there but miraculously, I managed to do my work and still closely follow the lives of Brenda, Brandon, Dylan, Kelly, Donna, David and Steve (I never cared about Andrea's life).

I did my work out of respect for my teachers, to keep my parents off my back, to make use of my new pens and notebooks, to lord it over my friends who didn't do their work, but most of all, I did it for two reasons:

1. So I could feel good about myself and not suffer anxiety, like I did when I walked into a classroom unprepared

and

2. So I wouldn't have to look at a crappy grade on my report card and feel bad about myself

So I worked. Why? Because that's what one does - one works in order to achieve success. If one does not work, one will not achieve success. End of story.

Don't expect to get something for nothing.

No comments: