Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Student Book Blog: Why I'm Scared of the Library

By Bennett Galperin

I always feel uncomfortable in the library. In addition, I seem to never have luck finding a good book there. Every time I go to the library, nothing catches my eye. Instead, I normally find books through recommendations or placement at bookstores. Even though I have no trouble finding a book that I know the title of at the library, I can't discover new and interesting books there.

On a parallel topic, I never feel comfortable at the library because I am afraid that I might run into someone I know and they'll think I am at the library to learn or study. If it was up to me, I would never go to the library but obviously I do not want to spent my hard earned money on a book that I may read only once and then never touch again. Proof of this is that in my room, I have a bookshelf crammed full of books that I have either never opened or that I read years ago.

To make matters worse, my dad loves the library and constantly forces me to go there with him. He always wants me to do research for reports at the library even when it is not necessary. In conjunction, he tries to force me to study at the library but I always refuse.

Funny enough, the East Brunswick Public Library has been making attempts to attract teens like myself to the library. The library has created a teen area that allows its occupants to game online, play video games, board games, and it also has an expanded teen book section. No matter what anyone does, I still will always try to avoid the library because I have barely ever discovered a book at the library that I liked and it will most likely stay that way.

I'm not a hater of books, though: I do enjoy going to Barnes and Nobles and finding a couple books that look interesting and reading a few pages of them while having a frappuccino, as do many others. By reading the first few pages, I can infer whether or not I will enjoy the book, plus the frappuccino makes the experience more pleasurable.

Obviously I am scared by the library, which is probably why I am always embarrassed to be there. I much prefer bookstores like Barnes and Nobles. I am usually more successful in finding a good book in a bookstore than in the library.

No comments: