Sunday, November 4, 2007

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Reviewed by Sumedha Guha

I have tried reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin many times. I always stopped, though, and never made it very far. The first time put it down, it was because I couldn't understand the language. The second time, it was because I started another book (because I didn't have this one with me) and was side tracked and never got back to it. The third time I stopped reading, however, was because of Mrs. Bennett - she annoyed me so much I put down the novel in frustration!

Well, I'm trying again. This time, I was inspired because I just saw the movie (the newest version) a few days ago and I decided to give it another go. Fortunately, this time I'm really getting into it. Pride and Prejudice is about a girl named Elizabeth Bennett, who goes by Lizzie, living in the eighteenth century. One day, Mr. Bingley, a rich bachelor, along with his sisters and his best friend, Mr. Darcy arrive in Lizzie's town. Mr. Bingley falls in love with Jane, who is Lizzie's eldest and closest sister and that's where the fun begins.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten too far - I am up to the part right after Jane and Bingley fall in love, the part where Mr. Darcy starts taking an interest in Lizzie. While I'm reading, I keep picturing the actors from the movie as the characters. Well, except for Mr. Darcy, who I envision as Colin Firth because of the six hour television version of Pride and Prejudice and who also acted in the film version of Bridget Jones' Diary in the role of Mark Darcy. I can't tell if the character casting going on in my head is good thing or not yet, but I do really like the book this time and think I might finally finish it!

No comments: