Thursday, January 31, 2008

NIght Light by Terri Blackstock


Night - Light
Originally uploaded by Jonas Thomén
NIght LIght by Terry Blackstock
Reviewed by Dmitry Ratushnyy

For the first time in my life I am reading more than one book at the same time, which truly is like flipping channels on the TV. I’m not very far into the story, but I’m fairly satisfied with Terri Blackstock’s novel, Night Light. This novel centers on an idea, which frankly, is not very original. Nevertheless this factor doesn’t affect Terri Blackstock’s ability of telling an interesting story. Night Light is about a world that is plunged into the chaos of total human recession. With modern technology rendered completely useless, and human kind relying on the little instinctual intuition that is left behind, after centuries of technology, humanity is bound for extinction.

This Dark Age has thrown mankind into a new era, an era not of enlightenment and progression, but of survival of the fittest. Stripped down to merely our own fragile bodies and a weak will to live, humanity must endure the harsh conditions that men managed to cheat through for so long. This book reminds me a lot of the movie, I Am Legend, which was fantastic and basically shares a similar plot with this novel, except for the references to human-cannibals. I strongly recommend this book.

If you’re wondering what other book I’m reading, it’s Paulo Coelho’s fable, The Alchemist. After reading a few pages of Coelho’s novella, I realize how much I’ve missed reading good books. My next log will be about The Alchemist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I wrote this, but for some reason when i reread it right now it sounded a hell lot better than when i wrote it